Philip N. Margolius, Partner has been practicing law for over 50 years. A native Washingtonian, Phil graduated from Coolidge High School and went on the attend Dartmouth for his undergraduate studies and graduated with an LLB from Yale Law School. Phil was a senior partner for almost forty years at Margolius Mallios et al. In 2002, he started a smaller version of his firm, where he could dedicate his time and take the utmost care in providing his services to his clients in a more personal setting.
Phil has been recognized as one of the District’s best and top Real Estate lawyers and also as a preeminent Estate and Trust Lawyer. Phil has been the long-time trusted legal, investment, trust and foundation advisor for local families.
Phil was married to his wife Phyllis for 46 years. Phyllis passed away February 2014 after a courageous battle with cancer. They have three children, David, Kenny and Jennifer. They are also fortunate to be grandparents of 5, Ma’ayan, Ro’i, No’a, Jocelyn and Jesse.
Phil is well known for his philanthropy. He has served as president of numerous Washington D.C. Jewish charitable organizations including Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, the United Jewish Endowment Fund and the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington. He established the Phyllis Margolius Family Foundation in 2014 and currently serves as its president.
- Business & Corporate
- Estate & Trust Administration
- Estate Planning
- Real Estate
- Maryland, 1978
- District of Columbia, 1966
- Yale Law School, New Haven, Connecticut, 1965, LL.B.
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, 1962, B.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Bar Association of the District of Columbia Probate and Real Property Section Member
- The American University Washington College of Law, Estate Planning and Drafting Adjunct Professor, 1999 – 2000
Honors and Awards
- Named Expert Attorney in Estate Planning and Real Estate Washingtonian Magazine
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Real Estate
- Elected to Membership in the Cosmos Club, 1999
Pro Bono Activities
- United Jewish Appeal Federation of Greater Washington, Past President, 1991 – 1993
- United Jewish Endowment Fund of the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, Past President, 1995 – 1997
- Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, Past President, 1983 – 1985
- Jewish Community Centers Association, Member of Board of Directors
Alan M. Margolius, Vice President of Project Development and Co-Manager of TMF Real Estate, LLC
Alan was a hotel and real estate developer/operator for 45 years. Alan, a native Washingtonian, attended Montgomery Blair High School and graduated with a Bachelor of Science from the University of Maryland, majoring in Economics. Upon graduation in 1971, Alan began his hospitality career at the soon to be opened Holiday Inn located in Bethesda, Maryland which was operated by Mardeck, Ltd. After a lengthy apprenticeship, learning all phases of hotel operations at the Holiday Inn, he became and the General Manager and served in that position for two years. In 1975, he transferred and served directly for the Mardeck corporate office. At that time, Mardeck operated seven hotels. Alan was involved in all areas of the management company, including operations of the existing hotels, financing, new hotel development and rehabilitation of the existing hotels. He was a critical player in the development of the world’s first Crowne Plaza Hotel in Rockville, Maryland consisting of mixed use development, a 318 room full-service hotel and a 160,000 square foot office building.
In 2009, when Mardeck Ltd. divested itself of all of its hotels, Alan joined Phil and Jennifer as Vice President of Project Development. Alan has helped expand the Margolius Firm’s land and business development departments. Alan handles the day to day management of the Firm’s land development projects and supports expansion for future business opportunities. Currently Alan manages office space and lot development, including hands-on management of The BurnBrae Companies, a real estate company that currently is developing over 600 residential lots in Maryland, Delaware and Florida.
Alan is married to Denese. Between them they have four children. In 2014, Alan became a grandfather to Max.
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, 1970, B.S.
- Reservation Committee for the International Association of Holiday Inns
- Advertising and Marketing Committee for the International Association of Holiday Inns
- Inn Pac Committee for the International Associations of Holiday Inns
- Food and Beverage Committee for the International Association of Holiday Inns
- National Chairman for Easter Seals for Holiday Inn Hotels
- Budget Committee for the United Jewish Appeal of Greater Washington DC
- Hospitality, Food and Beverage Committee for Israel Bonds of Washington, DC